The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)

The Iron King - Julie Kagawa I didn't have super high expectations for this one, based on others' reviews, so I shouldn't be that surprised. The first few chapters were packed full to bursting with YA high school stereotypes. Once the faery- aspects come into play, things got a little better. The world building and imagery were probably the novel's strongest points and the plot is fast paced and exciting, making this a fairly quick read. However, I felt like it was so action-packed that there was time for little else- for example, important aspects such as character development and relationships are seriously neglected. Meghan is in a new crappy situation literally every single chapter. Meghan herself as a character is kind of bland and irritating. Puck was really annoying, and you can barely feel the "best-friend" relationship that is supposed to be present between he and Meghan. The romance with Ash seemed thrown in at the last minute and is one of the worst cases of insta-love that I've come across. The relationship has hardly any build-up aside from Meghan commenting on how hot Ash is, and then they are suddenly making out and in love. Eye roll. However, I feel like the world that Kagawa has created here has potential. I think I'll give the series one more try to clean up some of the issues in the sequel.