American Psycho

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis This book is incredibly hard to review. At times I wanted to throw it across the room in absolute disgust at what I'd just read, and at other times I just wanted to give up out of boredom. There are pages upon pages where absolutely nothing happens besides the most mundane and shallow activities and conversations of everyday rich person life. I'm sure it goes without saying but the murder scenes were completely disturbing and more graphic than anything I have read in my life. That said, it wasn't a particularly scary book, likely because Bateman narrates everything in a very detached way. Even after finishing it, there is much of this novel that I don't fully understand. It's the kind of book that leaves you to make your own conclusions about what was actually going on. While I honestly can say that I did not enjoy reading this book (I don't think anyone could, and that's probably Ellis' point) there is no denying that it is a good piece of literature. Here's my favorite line:"...there is an idea of Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there."